Ingrown hairs may be painful, prone to infection and definitely unsightly. They are common in men around the face and neck and women on the legs, face and groin area. People don’t have to rush to the doctor to treat an ingrown hair, unless it’s badly infected. Some simple home remedies will bring soothing relief.
Sugar is an amazing thing for scrubbing the skin and reducing the unwanted hair and ingrown hair. It is because sugar exfoliates the skin, removing dead cells and helps ingrown hair to come out of the skin.
- one cup of white sugar
- extra-virgin olive oil or jojoba oil
- tea tree oil
- lavender essential oil
- Take one cup of white sugar and mix one-half cup of extra-virgin olive oil or jojoba oil in it.
- Take 10 drops of tea tree oil and lavender essential oil and stir it.
- Apply just a little amount of this scrub on the affected area.
- Scrub the skin with gentle hands in circular motions for few minutes. After then wash off your skin with lukewarm water.
- Make a habit of using this remedy once or twice a week as needed.
As baking soda contains anti-inflammatory properties so it is very soothing for the skin. The redness and itching caused by ingrown hair can fully reduce when you apply baking soda remedy.
- one tbsp of baking soda
- Take and mix with one cup of water. Take a cotton ball and dip in it. Dab gently on the affected area. Leave it for at least five minutes and then wash it off with cold water.
- Make a homemade scrub while putting one tsp of baking soda and ground with one tbsp of water. Mix them well together until it turns into a thick paste. Apply it smoothly on the skin and leave it for five minutes only. After that rinse it off with lukewarm water. Follow this remedy twice daily as required.
Tea tree oil is another ingredient that helps in healing the skin and preventing it from severe infection. It is due to its antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties.
- tea tree oil
- In the two tbsp of distilled water, add five drops of tea tree oil. Apply the mixture on to the affected skin after cleansing the area with antibacterial soap. Leave it for at least 10 minutes. Rinse it off with warm water.
- Mix three drops of tea tree oil in one tbsp of olive oil. Apply this on the affected area and massage with gentle hands for few minutes. Leave it for 10 minutes and then rinse with lukewarm water.
For exfoliating the skin, salt is the greatest ingredient should be used for this purpose. It also helps in increasing blood circulation, promoting the healing areas and reducing the swelling and inflammation.
- half tsp of salt
- Mix one and half tsp of salt in one cup of lukewarm water.
- Dip a cotton ball in this mixture and rub the affected area with the gentle hands.
- Leave it for few minutes then rinse it off with cold water.
- Follow this remedy for twice daily until the ingrown hair completely clears up.
Aloe vera is common and everyone is introduced with it. It is very effective and remedies made by aloe vera are very essential for different purposes related to the skin. Similarly aloe vera also shows some cooling nature that provides instant relief from itchiness and inflammation caused by ingrown hairs.
- aloe vera leaf
- Extract the gel from aloe vera leaf.
- Rub the gel on the ingrown hair area and allow it to dry for about half an hour.
- Rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- Do this two times daily.
Cucumber contains inflammatory and hydrating characteristics and has power to deal with the symptoms belonging to the ingrown hair. Vitamin C is present in cucumber that helps in relieving the pain and itchiness.
- slices of cucumber
- one-third cup of milk
- Make slices of cucumber and put in refrigerator for half an hour. Rub the chilled slices on the irritated area. Follow it for several times daily for several days until you see the complete improvement.
- Take half a cucumber and make a puree. Mix the puree with one-third cup of milk. Put the mixture in the refrigerator for few minutes until it becomes cold. Soak a cloth in that mixture and apply on the affected area. Rinse it off with lukewarm water. Follow this remedy twice daily until you see the condition is better.